- The NDIS focusses on the individual. A plan is created for each eligible NDIS participant based on specific individual needs and progress goals.
- For the first time, people with a disability in Australia, their families and carers will have choice and control over the supports they receive and how their funding is managed.
- The NDIS is a federally managed and funded scheme, meaning that the scheme will be nationally consistent and everyone should be treated fairly and given the assistance they need.
- The government has set up an agency – the National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA) to direct the funding and the roll out.
- The NDIS is rolling out progressively throughout Australia, starting with a number of trial sites.