what is NDIS
- The NDIS focusses on the individual. A plan is created for each eligible NDIS participant based on specific individual needs and progress goals.
- For the first time, people with a disability in Australia, their families and carers will have choice and control over the supports they receive and how their funding is managed.
- The NDIS is a federally managed and funded scheme, meaning that the scheme will be nationally consistent and everyone should be treated fairly and given the assistance they need.
- The government has set up an agency – the National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA) to direct the funding and the roll out.
- The NDIS is rolling out progressively throughout Australia, starting with a number of trial sites.
The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) launched in July 2013, following years of discussion about the need for a major reform of disability services in Australia.
The NDIS is a new way of providing individualised support for eligible people with permanent and significant disability, their families and carers. The NDIS is the insurance that gives us all peace of mind. Disability could affect anyone - having the right support makes a big difference.
What NDIA does
We understand that everyone’s needs, preferences and aspirations are different. That’s why we provide to eligible people a flexible, whole-of-life approach to the support needed to pursue their goals and aspirations and participate in daily life.
- We provide information and referrals, links to services and activities, individualised plans and where necessary, supports over a lifetime.
- We raise community awareness and encourage greater inclusion and access to mainstream services, community activities and other government initiatives.
- We support service providers to build capacity and be part of the scheme.
- Over time, we will find new and better ways of providing support, by building on what works well and learning from the lived experience of people with disability.
What help can I get? has more information about these services and support options.
Note: NDIS provides disability support. Assistance from the NDIS is not means tested and has no impact on income support such as the disability support pension and carers allowance.